In restorative dentistry, a few dental procedures are performed to make teeth stronger, shapelier and more attractive. In this article we will discuss three of them: veneers, dental crowns and teeth bonding. They are used to correct almost similar dental problems. To help you understand each one of these procedures, we will discuss them next.
- Dental crowns
A dental crown is also called a cap. It is placed on top of your tooth crown to prevent further decay or to keep cavities from happening. They are usually final restorations for dental implants and root canal teeth. Dental crowns look so much like your natural teeth as they are made of porcelain and ceramics. When more conservative dental restorations cannot be applied to enhance the strength or appearance of a damaged tooth, dental crowns are the last resort. They are good to look at and fulfill all the functions of a healthy tooth. They are generally prescribed for these reasons.
- To strengthen and enhance the appearance of a broken tooth or a tooth that has undergone an endodontic treatment (root canal treatment).
- To repair a fractured or a cracked tooth
- To cover a misshapen tooth
- To cap your dental implant
- To support your dental bridge or partial dentures and hold them in place.
How dental crowns are installedPrior to determining whether you are a good candidate, your dental crown 77022 dentist will evaluate your mouth and carry out a diagnosis. If a less invasive procedure can be carried out, the crown one will be left out. Once your dentist decides to place a crown, he or she will prepare your tooth to receive a crown. The natural tooth has to be trimmed down until it has the same width as the crown itself. Once the crown has been made, the next step will be placing it. Here is the way it goes:
- To determine if your tooth can support a crown, the dentist will take some X-rays that will show whether the roots and the surrounding bone are strong enough. If there is extensive decay that has damaged the surrounding pulp, your dental specialist might recommend a root canal therapy or a tooth extraction.
- Next, your dentist in uptown will prepare your tooth by reducing its size. It will be reduced to the right size based on the material being used (gold or porcelain).
- Third, the impression of your tooth will be made to make sure the restoration is functional and that the bite will be good.
- Impression will then be sent to a laboratory where it will be matched to the color of your natural teeth.
- Meanwhile, a temporary crown will be placed to hide your tooth until the permanent crown is made.
- A final restoration procedure will be carried out and this involves fitting of the dental crown. As long as the permanent restoration has the right color and fit, it will be cemented completely.
Modern dental technology has allowed uptown dentist clinics to place dental crowns faster. It often entails a single day dental crown installation. The dentist uses CEREC(Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics) to produce some inlays, onlays and porcelain crowns. The crown is made the same day in the doctor’s office and then it is bonded to the tooth. CEREC uses digital impressions made via an infrared camera and so they appear as a 3D model on the computer. A dentist is able to design the crown on their computer until they get the right result. Once the design is taken to a milling unit, a permanent crown is made out of porcelain block that is then cemented to the receiving tooth. Several people prefer these types of crowns than enduring the traditional procedure described above.Dental crown placement costBased on the dentist’s expertise, and the number of crowns you need, you might pay more money or less money for a single dental crown. Hence, search for several midtown dentistry dentists online, call them and ask about the overall cost of fitting a crown. As you will find out, dentists charges vary according to where they are located, type of crown being fitted and the number of crowns needed. Gold crowns tend to be less expensive than the porcelain ones, and they need the least amount of tooth structure. But if a lot of gold was used to make a crown, it will be more expensive. If you need dental crowns, have about one thousand dollars to one thousand, four hundred dollars. This is the average price, although porcelain crowns can cost up to two thousand dollars.
If you don’t have severe cavities, veneers might be picked for your case. Veneers are best for partial dental restorations or when you just want to fill up a painful tooth that has a small chip. Veneers are customized shells that are extremely thin and have the color of your teeth. They are mostly picked when one wants to restore their front teeth beauty. They cover the front surface of one’s teeth. Dental veneers are bonded with adhesive to the front of a tooth and this is usually good enough to fix its appearance. Veneers are important devices in cosmetic dentistry as they help people create bright, whiter smiles. They provide properly aligned and shapely teeth. Designed with either resin composite materials or porcelain, veneers are a must have if your teeth are bad. Porcelain veneers look so natural and can resist stains. If you work closely with a cosmetic dentist, he or she will be able to help you pick the right choice.Why get veneers fitted?As indicated earlier, veneers are great picks when you need to restore a smile. They are best when one has less attractive teeth they want to hide. They are recommended when you have the following:
- Crooked teeth
- Chipped or cracked teeth
- Spaced teeth
- Stained teeth
- Misshapen teeth
- When braces are not a good option
The most common reason why people get veneers is stains on teeth. Due to aging, teeth enamel gets eroded, discolored and dull. This can also be triggered by our diet and genes. If you natural teeth color is bad, make sure you get veneers fitted. The same should happen if one has gaps between teeth that look unattractive. As well as being perfect for restoring your beautiful smile, veneers can also protect the surface of a damaged tooth and keep it functional for a longer time. They are necessary when you can save your tooth without doing an invasive procedure like a dental crown placement. Only a little or no tooth reshaping is necessary before a veneer is placed.Veneer placement
- First, set up an appointment with your dentist. During this visit, your dentist 77002 will hold a discussion with you to know a few things about your oral health. The initial consultation is usually between the dentist and the patient and the former talks about everything, including the result to expect. It is also during this meeting that your mouth will be examined to make sure you make a good candidate for veneers placement process. X-rays and impressions of your teeth can be taken.
- In the next visit, your dentist will remove about half a millimeter of the enamel from the surface of your tooth. This is usually equal to the thickness of your veneer. Then a model or impression of your tooth and send it out to a dental laboratory that will be making your veneer. The process takes about one or two weeks and the veneers are ready for use.
- The application process is often done in the final visit. The dentist will bond a veneer to your tooth. But before then, he or she will clean, polish and roughen your tooth to help a strong bonding process to take place. Then to attach the veneer to your tooth, the dental specialist will apply a special light beam to the device and it will activate chemicals in the bonding cement. The cement will then cure very quickly and all excess bonding cement will be removed. A dental specialist might ask you to go for another clinic so they can make sure your veneers placement was successful. If gums are getting irritated by veneers, the dentist will want to find out why that is happening.
Advantages of wearing veneersVeneers provide a natural looking appearance as they look like your natural teeth. So people will not even discover that you have them. Another advantage to having veneers is that gum tissue tolerates porcelain better.Veneers don’t need general shaping procedures and easier to install. On the other hand, however, veneers are permanent and they cost more money than composite resin bonding. Another problem is that veneers are not hard to repair when they develop some faults and yet they are permanent. Some veneers will cause teeth sensitivity.Cost of dental veneersThe cost will mostly range from five hundred dollars to one thousand, three hundred shillings per month. But some insurers can cover some of the costs of veneers placement, you are likely to save money. As veneers are a cosmetic dentistry procedure, it’s not many dentists who are willing to insure it. If more artistic and technical skill will be needed to make your veneers, you might pay more money from your pocket. Your teeth might require other treatments to become ready for veneers placement. This can increase the cost.
- Teeth Bonding
This is done with a tooth-colored resin material with adhesive and a curing light. The materials are bonded to the tooth to make it more attractive. It is necessary to seek this treatment if your have the following dental issues:
- You have gaps between teeth and veneers are not your choice
- Your teeth are shorter and you want them to be longer
- You have decayed teeth and don’t want to remove your tooth. Composite resin is good for filling cavities
- You have chips or cracks on teeth
- Your teeth are bent and you can change their shape for the better
- You can have your teeth filled with amalgam fillings but you want an option that will make your tooth beautiful
- You have exposed tooth roots because of gums receding and you want to protect them.
- To improve discolored teeth
Dental bonding doesn’t require any amount of preparation as a dental crown does. Unless the bonding is being applied to a decayed tooth, a local anesthesia is never required. You 77027 dentist will match the color of your existing teeth in order to choose a composite resin color that will closely match. He or she can decide to apply direct composite bonding or adhesive bonding. The direct one involves use of colored composites to fill your dental cavities and end your dental pain. They can also seal cracks or chips on teeth, close gaps between your teeth and increase the damaged edges of your teeth.These composite materials could as well be applied directly to the surfaces of your teeth. On the other hand, adhesive bonding is the process of attaching a restoration to a tooth using an adhesive. It is usually used when a dentist is applying a porcelain veneer, bridge, crown or inlay or onlay. After a color that matches your teeth color is picked, the surface will of your tooth will be roughened so as to be fitted with a veneer, crown or any other suitable appliance with ease. A liquid bonding agent is then applied before a tooth-colored resin material is applied to the tooth. Next, the tooth is molded and smoothed until a desirable shape is achieved.ConclusionIt is important to have you teeth treated with a dental crown, dental veneer or tooth bonding procedure. This will improve your smile and confidence level as well as get rid of any amount of pain you might have. So, look for a dentist who can help you by offering a successful treatment.